Poisonous Plants to Your Dog
We can all appreciate the beauty of plants. But, did you know that there are a number of plants that are toxic to your dog, if ingested? Some serious problems can arise from eating the seeds of some of these plants, or from chewing on some of the leaves, or some can even come from chewing the bulbs or roots of the plant. So, before you plant this Spring, be sure you know how to protect your dogs from accidental poisoning.
Avoid these Poisonous Plants for Dogs
Spring is just around the corner. If you’re getting ready to plant a new garden or dogscape your backyard, the ASPCA warns that you should be sure to avoid the following plants that can be highly toxic to dogs.
Sago Palm: Although the entire plant is poisonous, the seeds or “nuts” contain the most toxins. Even if your dog only eats a seed or two, serious effects including vomiting, diarrhea, depression, seizures and liver failure can occur.
Tulip/Narcissus bulbs: These bulbs contain toxins that can cause intense gastrointestinal irritation, drooling, loss of appetite, depression of the central nervous system, convulsions and cardiac abnormalities.
Azalea/Rhododendron: These plants contain grayantoxins, which can produce vomiting, drooling, diarrhea, weakness and depression of the central nervous system in animals. Severe azalea poisoning could ultimately lead to coma and death from cardiovascular collapse.
Oleander: All parts of this plant are considered to be toxic and have the potential to cause
gastrointestinal tract irritation, abnormal heart function, hypothermia and even death.
Castor Bean: This plant contains ricin, a highly toxic protein that can produce severe abdominal pain, drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive thirst, weakness and loss of appetite. Severe cases of poisoning can result in dehydration, muscle twitching, tremors, seizures, coma and death.
Cyclamen: The highest concentration of the toxic cyclamine is in the root. If your dog eats it, it can produce significant gastrointestinal irritation, including intense vomiting. Fatalities have also been reported.
Kalanchoe: Ingestion of this plant can result in gastrointestinal irritation, as well as seriously affect heart rhythm and rate.
Yew: This plant contains taxine, which causes central nervous system effects such as trembling, incoordination and difficulty breathing. It can also cause significant gastrointestinal irritation and cardiac failure, which can result in death.
Amaryllis: These flowers, popular around Easter, contain toxins that can cause vomiting, depression, diarrhea, abdominal pain, hypersalivation, anorexia and tremors.
Chrysanthemum: This popular flower contains pyrethrins that may produce gastrointestinal upset, including drooling, vomiting and diarrhea. Depression and loss of coordination may also develop if your dog eats a large amount of this plant.
English Ivy: Also called branching ivy, glacier ivy, needlepoint ivy, sweetheart ivy and California ivy, it contains triterpenoid saponins that can result in vomiting, abdominal pain, hypersalivation and diarrhea.
Peace Lily: These flowers contain calcium oxalate crystals that can cause oral irritation, excessive drooling, vomiting, difficulty in swallowing and intense burning and irritation of the mouth, lips and tongue.
Pothos: If chewed or ingested, this popular household plant can cause significant irritation and swelling of the oral tissues and parts of the gastrointestinal tract.
Schefflera: This plant contains calcium oxalate crystals that can cause oral irritation, excessive drooling, vomiting, difficulty in swallowing and intense burning and irritation of the mouth, lips and tongue.